Getting Images Off the Internet
To enhance the slides in your presentation, you can find images that relate to your topic and add them to appropriate slides. One of the best places to go for this is Google Image Search.
- Search by your topic and then view the results of your search.
- To use one of the images, roll your mouse over the image on the result list, and look below the image on the box that pops up. You will see the size of the image (ex: 600x460). Choose an image where both of the numbers are larger than 250.
- To place the image in PowerPoint, select the image from the result screen.
- When the image is on the screen, click with your right mouse button (if using a PC) or (control-right click if using a Mac) on the image to bring up a menu that will allow you to copy or save the image or screen shot the image by using the tool "Snipping Tool." Click on the start button on your (if using a PC) computer and do a search for Snipping Tool.
- Access your PowerPoint presentation and then paste the image or insert it on your slide.
Other Sources of Images
Images that you have drawn or taken with a phone/digital camera also work well for presentations. If you have a picture that you need to digitize, most campus Computer Centers have a scanner available for student use.
Clip art from Microsoft is also another option. These can be accessed directly from the PowerPoint application. You will not need to cite clip art images in your works cited page or have a credit line for them on your presentation.
Using Images from the Databases
The TCC Library databases are a great place to find images for your presentation! Many times you can use images that accompany the articles you use for your research. To make a copy of an image from an article in a database, use the right-click method described in the column on the left of this page. There are also a few TCC Library databases that have their own collection of images, sounds and videos that you can use for your PowerPoint presentation. Just be sure to make a note of which database you got the image from for your works cited page if required.
Some of the most popular of these are: